What Is A Guardian, and Do I Need One?
For many years, parents living overseas have wished to educate their children in England. For these parents who are not resident in the UK, under British law and in accordance with the Children’s Act (1989), the Protection of Children Act (1999) and the Care Standards Act (2000) each child receiving full-time education (more than 12 weeks) must have a legally appointed guardian. The choice of Guardian is solely at the parent’s discretion.
Furthermore, The National Boarding School Standards (2002), boarding schools in England require parents to appoint a guardian who can be available at all times to act for parents and respond to the needs of both the student and the school. The international student should enjoy the same freedom as the home student – that is, to be able to have a break from the school during exeat weekends. A student’s educational experience in the UK is enhanced socially, culturally and linguistically by the opportunity to spend time with a welcoming family in a secure and friendly environment.
To make education in England possible and to safeguard the welfare of your child, a guardian acts on behalf of international student’s parents while their children are in the UK and take care of them during term time, school holidays and leave weekends. Must have a legally appointed guardian.
The legal reasons for this are:
• The child must have someone who will bear all responsibility for him/her whilst abroad, and this person must be legally appointed by the parents and over the Age of 21.
• This guardian has the power to make decisions regarding emergency medical treatment/operations if required.
• The Guardian has the duty to represent the interests of the child in the court of England and Wales, or the court of Ireland, in the Immigration Offices, police and other legal institutions.
• The guardian must provide the child with a place to live in case of illness, suspension, or expulsion from school
The guardian must also register the child with a local family doctor (General Practitioner) and arrange public liability insurance cover for the child, of not less than one million pounds (£1,000,000).
In addition to the above legal reasons, a United Kingdom guardian is also essential to carry out the following duties connected with the child’s stay at school. So, when selecting a guardian you should look to see that the guardians supply an adequate, responsible, diligent and nurturing service with a minimum level of care, detailed as follows:
Ruyang – Safety, Happiness and Success
Many parents from overseas choose to have their children educated at a boarding school in the United Kingdom. Whilst it may meet the child’s educational and social needs during term-time, children also need an accessible home base outside the school. Equally, schools need a reliable point of contact in the UK and for this reason, most British independent schools insist that children from overseas should have a legal guardian in this country who accepts responsibility for the student.
RUYANG offers a comprehensive Guardian Service (other companies refer to a guardianship) tailored to the specific needs of each child. The services offered to cover all the main areas that concern parents regarding a child’s overall well-being:
• The welfare of their child.
• Their child’s academic progress.
• The necessary financial arrangements for their child’s education in the UK.
Finding a suitable Host Family, administering health, financial and legal arrangements for their child and supervising academic progress can all be very difficult and time-consuming. For those parents with no friends or relatives within the UK who would be able to take on such responsibilities, RUYANG is the perfect solution.
Why Use RUYANG As Your Guardianship?
The answer is very simple: we offer you the peace of mind, which comes with the knowledge that the best possible arrangements are in place for your child. Once you have chosen a Guardian Service package suitable to your child’s requirements, you can then relax and leave everything to us.
Our dedicated and experienced guardianship team will carefully select a suitable RUYANG Host Family who will welcome your child into their home at weekends and half-terms. We work closely with you, your child, the school and the RUYANG Host Family to ensure that your child is given every support, encouragement and enjoys a safe, happy and successful stay within the UK.
As Educational Consultants, we understand the importance of constant contact with tutors, Housemasters/Housemistress, and we are also in a position to speak with schools at the highest level about your child’s progress, academically and socially.
With RUYANG’s International Guardian Service you are assured that all aspects of your child’s welfare and progress will be managed professionally by experienced staff. RUYANG’s Educational Guardian Service Department is always on hand to offer help and support to both students and overseas parents. We believe that a happy child is best placed to enjoy academic success and to make the most of all the benefits of an active and fulfilling stay within the UK.
• Our staff members have over 30 years of combined experience in caring for international students at boarding schools around the world and in the UK, including some of England’s most famous schools.
• Careful selection of a loving and caring Host Family who will provide a safe and happy home for your child at weekends and for half-term holidays.
• A dedicated team who manage all aspects of educational guidance, Social Welfare progress and arrangements for holiday courses.
• A complete clear and trusted financial, travel and administration service. From purchases of their favourite candy bar to the plane ticket home, we will be there for your child’s every need.
• We have a 24-hour support system in place for all students. Your child can contact a member of our team at any time for information or advice, or in the event of an emergency.
• Communication with school heads, tutors, Housemasters/Housemistresses and your son/daughter puts us in a great position to be able to communicate regularly, with you the parents and to advise on your child’s educational and social progress.
• We comply with all CSCI National Standards.
• We are accredited by AEGIS (Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students.
• We are full members of ACE (Advisory Centre for Education).