Tutoring, Summer School And English as a Second Language

Tutoring, Summer School And English As A Second Language

Why Study English in the UK?

There are several destinations to travel to for overseas students wanting to improve their English Language in a native speaking environment. The main ones would probably be the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. In all these destinations there are undoubtedly first class schools and accommodation for the students. So what makes the United Kingdom so popular and such a good choice for International students? And why do over 600,000 students from around the world choose to study English in the United Kingdom every year?

English Language Schools In The United Kingdom

The UK has been at the very forefront of the research and development of English language study for many years and has pioneered many advances in the theory and practice of teaching English as a second language. These advances have been made in both the mainstream university sector and in the private language school sector, which boasts some of the most prestigious names in English language teaching world such as The Bell and International House. Due to its location and its unique status as being the “home” of the English language and the importance of being able to communicate in English in the modern business community, the United Kingdom has become a Mecca for students from all over the world wanting to improve their English. Every year hundreds of thousands of language students improve their English in the United Kingdom either to go onto higher education, to improve the job opportunities or just for fun. There are three main types of English schools in the United Kingdom, all with their own special selling points, so that there is a school to suit everybody.

United Kingdom Private Language Schools

Private language schools have been around in the UK for many years and some of the older ones have been instrumental in developing and promoting new ideas and techniques in English language teaching.

There are more than 1000 private language schools in the UK, but only about 200 are recognised by ARELS. They come in all shapes and sizes and in all parts of the United Kingdom. From Scotland and Northern Ireland down to the south coast of England where many are located. Some are owned by large organisations and others are owner-operated models. They deliver high quality year round courses in general English or can also prepare students for examinations and for university preparation. Students can study for as little as two weeks or for as long as they wish. Most schools provide summer programmes, which combine study with sports and sightseeing for students of all ages. Generally they use home-stays for accommodation although some have dormitory places on university campuses or provide accommodation in hotel rooms.

UK University-Based Language Centres

The majority of University based English language centres offer language support for non-native speaking students for the duration of their academic studies and pre-session language courses for students who are about to embark upon an academic course and need to improve their language before they start. The pre-session courses last for varying lengths of time from a few weeks to nine months and the length of time the students need to spend on the course will depend upon their level of English when applying. Most University language courses will expect the student to provide proof of language ability before being let onto a course. If the student’s English is too low they will be expected to improve it before starting the course. Some university language centres provide year round general English programmes similar to those at private language schools although these tend to be more academically oriented. Accommodation is generally in student dormitories on campus, but some may be able to provide home-stay accommodation or provide help finding private accommodation.

UK Community (FE/HE) College Language Centres

Many community colleges have language centres, however the focus of some of them is not necessarily on the overseas study market. Some are in place to provide language classes for local immigrants to help them settle down in the United Kingdom. The community college centres often have very good facilities that may be used by students. Students can often take extra “vocational” classes for a nominal fee. Accommodation is usually in home-stay or help is given finding private accommodation.

English Language Schools In The UK

English language schools in the United Kingdom are the perfect way to improve your English language skills in preparation for entry into United Kingdom high schools and universities. United Kingdom English language schools are among the top language schools in the world and with RUYANG International Guardian Service & Educational Consultantcy Ltd. you can find the English language school that best suits you.

What Is IELTS?

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the preferred language entry test for universities in the UK although many also accept TOEFL.

Where And When Can I Take The IELTS Test?

You can take this test in your home country by contacting the British Council (put a link here to the BC website). There are many test centres in the UK that usually have the test every month. You can only take the IELTS test every 3 months.

Do I Need To Take IELTS Before I Apply?

When you apply for a university/high school, you DO NOT in most cases need to have an IELTS score, however you will need to take the test and meet the entry requirements of a university before you will receive the offer letter you need to enrol.
For entry to language schools, you do not need to take IELTS.

What Score Will I Need To Enter University Or High School?

Universities have different IELTS requirements depending on their ranking, department, popularity of courses etc. For most undergraduate and postgraduate courses you will need between IELTS 6-7. For foundation courses and high school 4.5-5.5.

Extra English

Children from overseas may need extra tuition in English during the first year of academic study and most schools have well-run EFL (English as a Foreign Language) departments to cope with this.

If a child has limited English she or he will be given intensive lessons (up to 15 hours per week) at an extra charge. Where possible she or he will join the English students for lessons where a high level of English is not essential e.g. maths, some sciences, art, sport. As the level of English improves the child will be more fully integrated into the normal school curriculum.

Where a child has a good command of English but needs specialized vocabulary or structures to deal with a particular subject, English lessons will be provided to deal with the specific need. These lessons will be at extra cost or free of charge depending on the number of lessons required.

All charges for extra English tuition will appear on the child’s end of term bill.

Private Tutors – Tutoring

A tutor is a private instructor who teaches a specific educational subject or skill to an individual student. Such one-on-one attention allows the tutor to improve the student’s knowledge or skills far more rapidly than in a classroom setting. Tutors are often privately hired and paid by the student or the student’s family. Many are used for remedial students or others needing special attention; many provide more advanced material for exceptionally capable and highly motivated students.

There are many different resources for finding the right tutor for your student. Of course, speaking to your student’s teacher for their suggestions will always be a good start. Asking around any community organizations or churches that you may be involved with may also turn up good results. Naturally, personal recommendations are a valuable way to locate tutors with a proven track record; ask other parents for their suggestions or experiences. RUYANG’s Education Consultancy Department have tutors covering a wide range of subjects, available for group and one-on-one tuition. For further details on how RUYANG can help your child, please Contact Us.

“Tutelage is the process of being under the guidance of a tutor”.

Comments are closed